The Grassroots Programme is open to students at any of the Programme’s four sponsor universities (University of Manchester, Manchester Metropolitan University, University of Bristol and University of Salford) who are:
- from Black backgrounds (i.e. Black African, black African Caribbean, mixed-race black African or mixed-race black African Caribbean backgrounds);
- from “non-traditional” or “less advantaged” backgrounds;
- who demonstrate a commitment to their professional and academic career (by reference to academic achievement/predicted grades and course attendance levels) and their ability to participate for the duration of the Programme; and
- who demonstrate the potential to excel in the legal profession.
Indicators of “non-traditional” or “less advantaged” backgrounds include (but are not limited to) being:
- the first generation in the family to attend university;
- eligible or in receipt of a means-tested maintenance grant from Student Finance England; and/or
- attendance at a state or non-fee-paying school during secondary education.